Updated in 2020, this plain-spoken guide will help leaders evaluate their goals and revitalize their unions. For officers who are committed to doing things differently than their predecessors, Just Elected walks the reader through steps that will mobilize members and breathe fresh vitality into the union. The labor movement isn’t about servicing workers, it’s about building a sustainable workers’ organization– and he shows you how to do it.
- the organizing model (the servicing model) of unionism;
- the strategic planning needed to build your union;
- the various functions of the union and its finances,
- building a communications network that involves and rallies the members
- the laws you have to look out for, how to deal with other officers and union staff, and how to organize yourself to do what needs to be done to pull it together and make it all work.
Bill Barry is a veteran union activist and former labor studies program director at the Community College of Baltimore County’s Dundalk campus, where he taught leadership skills, organizing, labor law, political action and other core subjects. If you’re a local officer who seriously wants to see your union become more effective, this book is the place to start.